Thursday, December 3, 2009

Birthday sewing!

It's tricky to have a birthday on Christmas Eve. I don't speak from my own experience, but the youngest has her birthday then and sometimes it's tricky to get around.
So... this year I wanted to sew something really nice for her. She's gotten some pretty stellar clothes over the years (this will be her fourth birthday this year!), but I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone...
So I went with a jacket. I've never sewn one before in 4.5 years of sewing!
I chose the Jade pattern by Farbenmix because it seemed pretty approachable. Like maybe I could knock that thing out....
And it probably would have been SUPER amazing had I actually checked on how much fabric it would take BEFORE cutting out pieces. Instead, I ended up with not enough to make a hood at all..... so, I improvised with a collar. It's not perfect, but I'll know better what to do next time!
And I don't have snaps on it yet.. but those will come. I still have three weeks until her birthday!
The first picture is a more accurate portrayal of the fabric I used:

And next is the jacket layed out on top of another pattern I'm tracing out (the Laguna skirt if you're curious.. I've made one before, but only in the smallest size and that was the only one I traced out... so I was tracing out a larger size!).
The sleeves really aren't wonky. I just have a knack for not laying things out straight I guess!
And for a few more specs.... The outer fabric is a GORGEOUS stretch Baby Nay corduroy.. really, I would kill for some more of this.. it is such a fine baby wale cord that it feels almost like velvet! I can't recall where I got it (woe is me!), but I know it was a few years ago. The lining of the jacket is some of the softest velour ever (http://www.sewzannes.com).
And the pattern I purchased from http://www.banberryplace.com .. I can't remember if it was in German or English... I didn't actually read the instructions!

No comments: